As I was working a few days ago I began thinking about my job and how it wasn’t as prestigious or powerful as some people’s careers I know.
You know what happened next….I started thinking I wasn’t as good a person as they are. Maybe, I didn’t deserve a better career. Embarrassment flooded me. All of that kind of thinking was beginning to upset me, and make me feel like I wasn’t enough to make a difference in the world. Why was I even here?
In my mind I pictured my co-workers and how we all have different tasks to complete during the day. No one more important than the other, and all tasks are required to run the business.
WHY? Why are we so quick to believe the LIES of the Satan? Why do we not go first to what God says?
Jesus gives me hope in John 15:5, Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.
Also, in 1 Corinthians 12:4 – 10, God tells me why I’m here. There are different kinds of service, but we serve the same Lord. God works in different ways, but it is the same God who does the work in all of us. A spiritual gift is given to each of us so we can help each other.
- To one person the Spirit gives the ability to give wise advice;
- to another the same Spirit gives a message of special knowledge.
- The same Spirit gives great faith to another,
- and to someone else the one Spirit gives the gift of healing.
- He gives one person the power to perform miracles,
- and another the ability to prophesy.
- He gives someone else the ability to discern whether a message is from the Spirit of God or from another spirit.
- Still another person is given the ability to speak in unknown languages,
- while another is given the ability to interpret what is being said.
This gives me great hope! When I go to bed at night, I’m remembering what is important – only what I’ve done for God that day. It’s not how much money I make, the kind of work I do, popularity, level of education, or anything else the world can give.
While there is nothing wrong with reaching for the stars and striving to do the best we can, we have to keep LOVE (which is God), the most important requirement of the day.