One of my favorite television preachers/teachers is Joyce Meyer. As a matter of fact, I have my DVR set to record all of her shows. I was in my room one evening and happened to have the tv on Joyce. She made a statement that I can’t get out of my head, or heart. “Save some money, give away some money, and spend some money.” She was teaching on finances. My ears opened wide when I heard, “spend some money.” I wasn’t exactly sure what she meant by it if she was teaching on how to be good stewards of the money God gives us. This is how she explained:
1) Save some money; simply put as much as you can in, perhaps, a savings account.
2) Give away some money; show how God’s blessed you by, maybe, giving a great waitress a large tip.
3) Spend some money; depending on your budget, buy yourself a little something. If it’s only a $2 ice cream. Enjoy a bit of the money you make.
Then the Lord started speaking to my heart and telling me how this could be used with time management as well. (An area I struggle with.) And this is how He explained it to me:
1) Save some of your day for God; reading His Word and spending time in prayer. Get closer to Him, and learn His ways.
2) Give away some time; if you are like most people you do that anyway with your job. There are other times when a neighbor or friend may need a shoulder to cry on, or an ear to listen.
3) Spend some time; take small pieces of your day to enjoy yourself. Eat lunch outside on a beautiful day, and look at the beautiful flowers God gives us during the Spring. Take a walk in the evening before dark and get fresh air into your lungs. Take a bubble bath before going to bed.
These are just examples, but you must take time for you, if you are going to be any good for anyone else; your family, your job, your friends, or any ministry that God has given you to fulfill. Don’t feel guilty about it, either. It’s not selfish to take care of your emotional/mental health.
I’ve started doing this most everyday, and guess what? It works!!!!! 🙂