God’s will for our lives and, our flesh have different ideas. What I mean by our “flesh” is our human nature. God’s children hear His voice deep inside their hearts. It’s not words, it’s a feeling and, you know, that you know, that you know, its from God. Some of the worst decisions of my life have been when I did not obey His voice.
The area that I have the most trouble in relates to how others treat me. That sounds like an excuse but read my defense:
1. An individual that displays an arrogant attitude and makes you want to return it to them.
2. A person that claims they’re a Christian but, tells you that they can’t be your friend anymore because you have made a few improper choices in your life.
3. Someone does a remarkable act of kindness and blabs about it to everyone.
Scripture addresses all of the above scenarios:
1. What you reap, you will sow.
2. Everyone has sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.
3. Even a fool is know to be wise when he keeps his mouth shut.
I believe that my sweet mother summed up a lot of these issues in one phrase, “Be sweet.” If I had a dollar for every time she said that to me, I wouldn’t have to work my day job. I’ve always been assertive and, at times, aggressive in my speech. Often times, I need duct tape over my mouth just to keep from saying something that I will have to apologize for later. Don’t think because we are Christians we are immune. We are in the front line of the firing squad. The enemy knows that it is difficult to release the words of our mouths to the Lord because we are human so he preys on us more than non-Christians. Most everyday, I pray that God will let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in His sight.
What I am trying to say is this, just because a person speaks unkindly to us or treats us badly, doesn’t mean that we have to return the favor. It is my belief that God wants us to rise above what the world says and thinks of us and live the way He wants us too. We need to keep our peace because we never know what the other person may be going through and we may be the only representation of Christ that they see.
So, keep your peace, listen more than you speak, don’t say anything that you will have to apologize for and then……..sleep well at night!